Riley Snider joined Witten LLP in 2011 as a summer student before articling with the firm in 2013 and becoming an associate in 2014. Prior to that, he received his Juris Doctor in law and his Bachelor of Arts with Distinction from the University of Alberta.
Riley is a member of Witten LLP’s litigation group. He maintains a general litigation practice with an emphasis on construction, commercial, and employment law matters as well as creditor’s remedies. Riley’s construction experience includes a wide array of matters, including for owners and contractors, assisting with construction procurement; infrastructure; contract development/review; dispute resolution, arbitration, and litigation involving claims for breach of contract, delays, deficiencies, builders’ liens, Public Works Act claims, insurance claims, and claims involving sureties. He also has considerable experience in debt recovery and realization and employment matters, including, among other things, contract development/review, severance package review, and wrongful dismissal claims. Riley has appeared before various levels of courts and tribunals.
Outside of work, Riley has been involved in various sports over the years, including hockey, lacrosse, skiing and golf. He has competed in various national championships over the years. Riley mostly enjoys spending extensive time with his wife and his two Golden Retrievers, Gus and Clark. He also enjoys travelling, including to Spain, England, Vietnam and Thailand; but will always have a special attachment to Hawaii.
Awards and Achievements
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada, Ones to Watch, in the area of Construction Law
- University of Alberta Dean’s Honour List, First-class standing in post-secondary, University of Alberta
- Betty Anne Segatto Memorial Prize in Real Estate, Superior academic achievement [highest grade] in the subject of Real Estate Transactions in the Faculty of Law, University of Alberta
- Alberta Law Foundation Undergraduate Scholarship, Academic standing in the Faculty of Law, University of Alberta
- Jason Lang Scholarship, Outstanding academic standing in post-secondary, University of Alberta
- T4K Undergraduate Scholarship, Superior academic achievement in post-secondary, University of Alberta
- Frederick A. Scherrer Scholarship in Arts, Superior academic achievement in the Faculty of Arts, University of Alberta
- Jimmie Condon Athletic Scholarship, Athletic and academic excellence in post-secondary, Grant MacEwan University
- Golden Key International Honour Society Inductee, University of Alberta