Ellery C. Lew
Partner, Trademark Agent
Ellery Lew is a seasoned civil litigator specializing in commercial litigation. His expertise encompasses licensing and franchise law, claims involving fraud or mortgage fraud, construction disputes, and intellectual property rights. With a B.Sc. in Engineering, Ellery brings a unique perspective to cases involving technical considerations or issues. He is also a registered trademark agent.
Beyond the courtroom, Ellery’s dispute resolution skills are highly sought after. He regularly represents his clients at mediations and arbitrations, and also serves as an arbitrator.
Ellery is an active member of both the legal community and beyond. His contributions include:
- Volunteer member of the Law Society Practice Review Committee.
- Former Co-chair and a long-standing member of the Intellectual Property Sub-Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
- Membership in the Alternative Dispute Resolution Sub-Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
- Active involvement in the Canadian Franchise Association, Legal & Legislative Affairs Committee. Ellery was the CFA Law Day Co-chair in 2022 and served on the CFA Law Day organizing committee in 2022 and 2023. He was also a contributing editor to the Franchise and Distribution Journal for over eight years.
- Board member of The Apple Schools Foundation.
- Past membership on the Board of Directors of Camp BB-Riback and the B’nai Brith Youth Organization.
- Serving as the President and Past President of the Jewish Federation of Edmonton and a past UJA Co-chair. He has been a board member since 2010.
Recognitions, Rankings and Awards
- Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee Medal, 2023
- The International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory:
- Franchising Law
- Lexpert® Special Edition: Litigation 2023
- Best Lawyers:
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- University of Alberta, B.Sc. in Engineering (1987)
- University of Toronto, LL.B. (1990)