Allison B. McCollum
Allison’s legal practice focuses on estate solutions and advising owner-managed and family businesses in various capacities.
Allison serves as a trusted advisor to high net worth families and owner-managed businesses. She helps her clients create a strategic plan for succession - assessing their current situation, values and goals, and developing a plan to move them forward. She helps identify issues, find solutions and, when appropriate, link her client to external resources who can provide further expertise as needed.
Allison’s services include:
- Educating family members, board members, shareholders, trustees and executors on their roles and responsibilities.
- Advising on strategies for preserving wealth.
- Facilitating board and/or family meetings.
- Recommending and implementing corporate planning including estate freezes, setting up family trusts, and various share transactions.
- Providing collaborative processes for averting potential claims and disputes related to an estate.
- Guiding executors through the full range of estate administration.
- Drafting estate planning documents including wills, powers of attorney and personal directives.
- Advising on practical day-to-day matters that can arise when powers of attorney and personal directives need to be enacted.
Allison’s approach is holistic and honours the intentions and values of the client.
Away from work, Allison is the Chair for Zebra Child Protection Centre. She is a member of the CBA AB Wills and Business subsections. Allison taught Estate Procedures for two years at Grant MacEwan University. Allison earned her B.A. (First Class Joint Honours) in 1999 at McGill University and her LL.B (with Distinction) in 2006 at the University of Alberta. She was admitted to the Alberta bar in 2007.
Allison has two active children, an amazing husband, and an energetic rescue dog. As her husband hails from North Carolina, Allison now has a penchant for charming southern accents and watching Tar Heels college basketball.